8 de septiembre de 2017

Annotating online presentations using an iPad Pro and the Apple Pencil, useful for a MOOC

I am currently teaching the Compilers course remotely.  Because of the interaction and material (drawing tables, DFAs, NFAs, regexps, etc.) I wanted to present some kind of whiteboarding and Powerpoint slides, and draw over the slides.

Since the class meets remotely, I am connected through Skype to the class, and need to share what's on my screen, but also add some white slides to use as whiteboard.  I've found a couple of different ways to do it:

1) Using Powerpoint for iOS to display the presentation and a Macbook for main screen.  This is  by far the best method, as the iPad Pro palm detection mechanism works beautifully here.  I then mirror the iPad's screen to the computer, and then share it out of the call.  To mirror the iPad screen, I use QuickTime.

2) Using Duet Pro for iOS, this essentially converts the iPad to something like a Cintiq tablet.  Mac OS does not include any Ink support, so Powerpoint does not work adequately with the iPad.  So this works best as a Windows setup.  However, gesture detection gets in the way, palm detection is not very good and makes me advance to the next slide when I'm writing on top of a slide, so that gets annoying.

I'll keep trying, and maybe Duet Pro gets better on new releases, as I'll be using a Windows computer for the most part of the course.

No hay comentarios.: